[Ads-l] "man" avoidance

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 24 20:49:05 UTC 2016

Nobody said that "gender" is "the most important aspect," but the writer
seems to think  it's of no interest whatsoever.

If you believe that "311 people" is clearer and more informative than "309
men and two women," there's no point trying to persuade you. The specific
mention of the two women would also forestall the misapprehension that all
311 members of a fighter group were men.

The TMI principle seems to make the "non-African-American," etc., versions
theoretically more informative but stylistically impossible - except as
sarcasm in a tendentious, vastly different context.

JL