[Ads-l] "man" avoidance

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 26 13:36:06 UTC 2016

A further weirdness stems from our prior knowledge that they were all
"people," not space aliens, armadillos, etc.

It's like the middle-schooler who writes, _Ulysses_ is a book by a man
named James Joyce."

"A man named" adds nothing to the sentence and (to a grownup) sounds
silly.  Similarly, "people" adds nothing to the article or to our
understanding.

So it may not be "man" avoidance, or gender avoidance. It may be poor focus
than more anything else.

JL