[Ads-l] Adage: Traduttori traditori (Translators, traitors)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 3 00:28:27 UTC 2017

The article
<https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100621180327AAZp4yv> on
Yahoo! Answers | Society and Culture | Languages includes an answer posted
7 years ago by "Ray L."; note the 2nd paragraph:

"Traduttore traditore" is a classic aphorism - usually translated
> "Translator: traitor" - to the effect that all language translation
> involves distortion (a "betrayal" of the original).
>
> It's also classic because it's an example of exactly what it describes:
> even though the meaning comes through in English, the pun of the close
> similarity between the Italian words is destroyed.

Mark

. <http://X-Clacks-Overhead.dw/GNU-Terry_Pratchett>  .
<http://www.gnuterrypratchett.com/>