[Ads-l] Patrons wait for free meals for a year at Chick-fil-A opening in Okemos

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Mon Apr 3 20:25:35 UTC 2017

Groggy, I would say, about "Patrons wait for free meals for a year at Chick-fil-A opening in
Okemos."  I did not detect an  ambiguity on first reading -- to me it clearly was "Patrons wait for free-meals-for-a-year at Chick-fil-A opening in Okemos."

The other interpretation, is not possible for me.  It would be presented, instead, as "Patrons wait for a year at Chick-fil-A opening in Okemos for free meals."  Or possibly "Patrons wait for a year for free meals at Chick-fil-A opening in Okemos."  Depending perphaps on whether the free meals are available at any Chick-fil-A or only in Okemos.

Joel

      From: Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Sunday, April 2, 2017 8:02 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Patrons wait for free meals for a year at Chick-fil-A opening in Okemos

The "state" in the link David gave is Minnesota State University. The link
goes just to the main page, which at the moment is dominated by coverage of
MSU sports ("Amid investigations, MSU football hosts annual Green and White
scrimmage") and the ongoing investigation of Larry Nassar ("Retired Olympic
gymnasts testified before the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday in
support of S.534, the Protecting Young Victims from Sexual Abuse Act of
2017").

The story David was talking about:
*VIDEO: Patrons wait for free meals for a year at Chick-fil-A opening in
Okemos
<http://statenews.com/article/2017/03/patrons-wait-for-free-meals-for-a-year-at-chick-fil-a-opening-in-okemos>*

The new Chick-fil-A in Okemos is officially open for business. Members of
> the community camped out overnight before the grand opening to receive free
> Chick-fil-A for a year.
>
> “What they get is a card that’s loaded with 52 of our number one meals,
> which is that original Chick-fil-A sandwich, those waffle fries and a
> drink,” Chick-fil-A spokesperson Cindy Chapman said. “Basically it’s one a
> week for a year.”

The headline completely threw me. I didn't recognize the ambiguity till I
found the story and read the lede paragraph.

Am I dumb, groggy, or just typical?

Mark