[Ads-l] The nonfiction novel revisited

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 5 12:06:27 UTC 2017

Or should that be *previsited*? Note this exchange from a previously unpublished 1920 short story “The I.O.U.” by F. Scott Fitzgerald that just appeared in the March 20 New Yorker; the narrator’s definition of nonfiction is provided at the end.

   “Just when it’s selling better than a book of fiction.”
   “Fiction!” He responded angrily. “It *is* fiction!”
   “In a sense—“ I admitted.
   “In a sense? It *is* fiction. It fulfills all the requirements of fiction: it is one long sweet lie. Would you call it fact?”
   “No”, I replied calmly. “I should call it nonfiction. Nonfiction is a form of literature that lies halfway between fiction and fact.”

—p. 83

LH