[Ads-l] Term for a figure of speech?

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Thu Apr 13 16:06:13 UTC 2017

Thanks, Garson.  Possibly, as the OED would say, my example is an "extended use".  I'll use it if no one comes up with something closer.

I particularly like the Merriam-Webster last sentence, which perhaps applies to me.

Joel

      From: ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 11:59 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Term for a figure of speech?

Perhaps you are searching for the word "paraprosdokian", but it does
not quite fit your example.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/internets-favorite-words/paraprosdokian

[Begin excerpt]
Definition: a figure of speech in which the end of the sentence is
surprising, or causes the reader to reinterpret the first part. . . .

The use of the paraprosdokian may be largely confined to playful
writers and humorists (Groucho Marx was particularly adept at
employing it). The use of the actual word, however, is more the
province of people who are interested in bizarre and obscure words.
[End excerpt]

Garson