[Ads-l] "another thing coming" antedated to 1866

Thu Apr 20 04:27:27 UTC 2017

Ben found a pertinent newspaper headline in "The Washington Post" on
April 29, 1897:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004972.html

[Begin excerpt]
Another "Think" Coming to Them
[End excerpt]

Here is a citation a couple months later containing "another thing
coming" with the appropriate sense. The phrase "these things" seems to
pair with "another thing coming".

Date: June 24, 1897
Newspaper: Elmira Daily Gazette and Free Press (Star-Gazette)
Newspaper Location: Elmira, New York
Article: Cycling Gossip
Quote Page 3, Column 2

[Begin excerpt - check typos]
In witnessing these things they imagine that these battles and
quarrels of the track are carried on after the races are over. The
people who think this "have another thing coming," for the men travel
in one of the most peaceful parties that follows any line of sport.
[End excerpt]

Garson