[Ads-l] Mulligan (extra shot in golf) May 11, 1932

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 20 19:39:23 UTC 2017

I had the same thought - miscommunication between reporter and golfing baseball player.

The several early reports of the term, "Mulligan," are in the same paper, the Detroit Free Press.

The word got much more press in the 1950s when President Eisenhower used the term to refer to second (or third or fourth) chances from the tee.

But even in the 1950s, several articles that explain the term "mulligan" insisted that it was limited to one extra swing off the tee.

In the 1920s, there were several tournaments termed "practice shot tournaments," in which participants get an extra shot from the tee if the first one is bad.

So "taking a mulligan" may be getting an extra chance to hit the ball like "Swat Mulligan" off the tee.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:02:09 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Mulligan (extra shot in golf) May 11, 1932

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>

Peter Reitan wrote:
> Should we read anything into the fact that the player who took the
> earliest recorded "mulligan" in 1932 was  New York Yankee?
>  "Swat Mulligan", whose name was used to refer to a big swing
> in baseball and golf in the 19-teens and 19-twenties, was a
> fictional professional baseball player.
>
> The 1932 "mulligan", or "another chance", was also a big swing
> taken off the tee; coincidence or something more?

Maybe the term was invented by the reporter. Here is a conjectural
conversation for an entertaining etymythology:

Reporter: How well did you play today?
Golf player: I hit my drive shot into the creek
Reporter: Too bad.
Golf player: The other players kindly let me tee up and try again.
Reporter: What happened?
Golf player: I took a mulligan and the ball flew over the creek and
landed inches from the green

The golf player was employing "mulligan" with the sense "tremendous
swing". But the reporter interpreted it as "an extra attempt".

Garson