[Ads-l] “Set the world on fire”?

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 1 15:44:05 UTC 2017

I like the idea of everybody paying homage to me, but I'm pretty sure that the writer's claim that I coined the term "quote magnet" is wrong.  It was probably used by Ralph Keyes or Nigel Rees.

Fred Shapiro

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2017 11:27 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: “Set the world on fire”?

Sorry, St. Ignatius [of Loyola] never said that (or these other famous
Jesuit quotes)

goo.gl/jVfJLM

Not especially interesting, though the author does - as should we all - pay
homage* to Fred.

*As is the the case with "spade" and "shovel," the distinction between
"homage" and "hommage" has also pretty much disappeared.

--
-Wilson
-----

The American Dialect Society - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americandialect.org&d=DwIBaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=fA3T4uAm2gJS6K8eux_g80UR5n-rtd2GpmRMO1hHScg&m=EiZZug3vUMmHR57Zrey6NXtjkyhGQqA66UV56FaBYqE&s=d2c1MpB4idfIkCZIkqaAHwrLpWVg7a3vSmdOOf7Kgi8&e=