[Ads-l] “Set the world on fire”?

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Tue Aug 1 16:29:09 UTC 2017

The earliest I can find "quote magnet" in print is in a 2006 newspaper article by Cristina Rouvalis on the occasion of the release of Ralph Keyes's book _The Quote Verifier_.  But using Google Books and Amazon to search Keyes's book does not reveal the presence of the word "magnet".  Nor can I find it in Nigel Rees's 2006 book "Brewer's Famous Quotations"  (although this does not rule out his having used it on the air in his BBC radio show).

_Pittsburgh Post-Gazette_ 11 Jun 2006 p e-9 col 3
"Some famous dead people, especially Mark Twain and Abraham Lincoln, are quote magnets."

A 1999 exchange in alt.urban.folklore includes the phrase, but the sentence structure is so stilted that I'm not confident in what is being said:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/alt.folklore.urban/0okSPO99uQE/BTYZaFLkBTEJ
">It's interesting seeing mutation and reattribution in action (I like
>'the magnet effect') - especially when you consider that there's no
>way to re-establish a canonical True Version of the quote.

I believe that Stephen Fry suggested that British weatherman Ian McAskill be
the Oscar Wilde of the late twentieth century, granting him the quote
magnet.  "

Fred, even if you didn't coin "quote magnet", I think we all can agree that you are the quote magnate.