[Ads-l] A spade is not a shovel.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 1 18:24:44 UTC 2017

> the dominating character of the suit in card playing

It's the highest-ranking suit in the hierarchy - clubs, diamonds, hearts,
spades - of bridge. A bid of N in spades tops a bid of N in any other suit.
A bid of "seven" in spades - the taking of all available tricks, a "grand
slam," using spades as the trump-suit - wins the auction over the bidding
of a grand slam in hearts, diamonds, or clubs and, if made, yields the
highest score.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain