[Ads-l] slown

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 3 01:27:29 UTC 2017

I assume pronounced “sloan” rather than to rhyme with “clown” (or “down”).  There are limits to anticipatory assimilation, after all.

It does seem as though the instances of “slown” found on the web are back-primed by a following “down”:

Examples of “slown” at https://www.wordnik.com/words/slown include the following, a few from Amy Hempel’s “The Dog of the Marriage"

• “Time was slown way down,” he said, his eyes closed.
The Dog of the Marriage

• It was like this woman was getting just as slown down as I was, even though she never touched the stuff.
The Dog of the Marriage

• There's many fronts causing these things to happen within the next few years, Moore's law hasn't slown down, and it shows no signs of doing so, quite the contrary.
--Top News

• Slumping Hanna hopes to slown down streaking Westside
--Anderson Independent Mail Stories

• Pledges have slown down a little bit and I want to make sure we haven't lost the momentum that we built up last week
—Theater Hopper

• With respect to labour market dynamics employment continued to expand briskly in Q1 2008, but seems to have slown down somewhat in Q2.
--Global Economy Matters

• So, that means CPM advertising may slown down but overall I still think the state of Internet Advertising is healthy
--Cameron Olthuis

• Their excuse is that their super-uber-mega-military computers are being "slown down" by people watching stupid videos of cats playing the piano, and being exposed to viruses (I'm sorry, but if US military servers can be taken down with a virus you get from surfing MySpace, then Georgie, we have a fucking problem).
--Three good things for every (three) bad