[Ads-l] arrow-space

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 6 18:48:37 UTC 2017

> On Aug 6, 2017, at 2:29 PM, Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
>> On 6 Aug 2017, at 11:28, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
>>
>>> On Aug 6, 2017, at 2:17 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM <mailto:wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Arrow" rhymes with "sparrow," "marrow," and "harrow," but "aero" rhymes
>>> with the local pronunciation of "Cairo," Illinois. Or "pair o'," as in
>>> "pair o' words that rhyme."
>>>
>>> At least for me.
>>
>> And “pharaoh”.   Actually, now that I think of it, I distinguish “pharaoh” (as in “aerospace”) from “farro” (the “ancient grain”).
>> Also “Pretty Saro” (traditional song).  But not Varro, the Roman grammarian—he rhymes with arrow.
>>

> More homophones to me. How about some IPA? BB

Carey [keri]. (Vowel of Mary, pharaoh)
carry [kæri]. (Vowel of marry, farro)
Kerry [kɛri].  (Vowel of merry, ferry)

Imperfect, because of r-coloring.  My “Carey” vowel doesn't quite end up the same as my “Kate” vowel, although they start out the same.  Actually, now that I think of it, the stressed vowel of Cairo/Karo is a better fit for [e] than that of Carey.

LH