[Ads-l] No. 45

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Aug 16 12:42:07 UTC 2017

I think the use of numbers started with Bush 43, to distinguish him from 41.
It pretty much skipped Obama (unless there were those in the conservative
camp who I don't follow that used 44), but came back with Trump as a means
to avoid acknowledging who was in office.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Geoffrey Nathan
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:49 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] No. 45

Use of '45' is very widespread (and has been for several months), especially
among those with negative opinions of Mr Trump. It's been all over Facebook
for a long time (don't know how to search for it there, however). Haven't
seen 'Number 45'--in my experience it's treated as a proper noun.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired) Emeritus Professor, Linguistics
Program http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/

geoffnathan at wayne.edu

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to
anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.