[Ads-l] Advice: Tell 'em what you're going to tell 'em; then tell 'em; then tell 'em what you told 'em.

Wed Aug 16 22:16:49 UTC 2017

The Quote Investigator website now has an entry with a slightly
earlier citation in 1908, and a bonus discussion of Aristotle's
"Rhetoric". Feedback welcome.

Tell ‘Em What You’re Going To Tell ‘Em; Next, Tell ‘Em; Next, Tell ‘Em
What You Told ‘Em
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/08/15/tell-em/

Date: 1908 August 13, 1908
Newspaper: Northern Daily Mail (Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail)
Newspaper Location: Durham, England
Article: Three Parts of a Sermon
Quote Page 3, Column 4,
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt]
Mr. Jowett, of Birmingham, tells of a lay preachers’ conference, in
which a veteran described his method of sermon preparation. “I take my
text,” he said, “and divide my sermon into three parts. In the first
part I tell ’em what I am going to tell ’em; in the second part—well,
I tell ’em; in the third part I tell ’em what I’ve told ’em.”—The
“Sunday Strand.”
[End excerpt]

Garson