[Ads-l] Antedating of "Wacko"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 23 20:08:09 UTC 2017

In browsing through some wacko "whacko" references yesterday, I got the impression that it was Australian slang with a positive connotation.

It doesn't seem to have meant wacko, wacky, crazy as it does in the US.

"'It's terrific' America says, but Australia says 'whacko'."

"How They Say it in Australia," The Baltimore Sun, June 29, 1941, The Week Magazine, page 15 (Newspapers.com).

"Should a kindly host pour me a noble Montrachet with my filet de sole, nothing in the world is going to stop me from shouting 'Eureka' or 'Whacko'."

"The Finer Points of Ettiquette," Sydney Morning Herald, November 6, 1949, page 2 (Newspapers.com).

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:31:50 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Antedating of "Wacko"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>

A few more to puzzle over...

"a wacko night"
Cairns Post, Queensland, July 13, 1932, p. 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/41161761?searchTerm=wacko

"a Whack-o bargain"
Cairns Post, Queensland, Dec. 20, 1932, p. 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/41194803?searchTerm=whack-o

"a 'Whacko' dance"
South Coast Times and Wollongong Argus, NSW, Feb. 3, 1933, p. 18
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/143036249?searchTerm=whacko

"a wacko supper"
Cairns Post, Queensland, Dec. 28, 1934, p. 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/41546343?searchTerm=wacko