[Ads-l] Antedating of "Glitz"

Thu Aug 24 16:52:09 UTC 2017

Thanks, Fred. Here is an instance of "glitz" appearing in a review
within a London newspaper in April 1973. The production under analysis
was the musical "Little Man—What Now?"  from the Bochum Schauspielhaus
.

Date: April 1, 1973
Newspaper: The Observer
Newspaper Location: London, Greater London, England
Section: The Observer Review
Article: Window on the world by Robert Brustein
Quote Page 35, Column 1

https://www.newspapers.com/image/257827142/?terms=glitz

[Begin excerpt]
The story takes place between the show stoppers, and I gather that
this juxtaposition of glitz and grime is intended as some kind of
political comment on the economic contrasts of the time...
[End excerpt]

Garson