[Ads-l] "something greater than yourself"

Sat Dec 2 23:32:17 UTC 2017

Here is an example of the phrase "absorption in something greater than
oneself" employed with dual meanings: geographical and spiritual.

Date: February 13, 1864
Periodical: The Spectator
Periodical Location: London
Article: Topics of the Day: The Conquest of Denmark
Quote Page 174, Column 2

https://books.google.com/books?id=bschAQAAMAAJ&q=%22than+oneself%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
... but when all these things are done Denmark will
have lost Schleswig, and a nationality older than our own
will be left without resource save that one which seems
pleasant only to Buddhists, absorption in something greater
than oneself. Is it our interest to allow this example of
successful violence to tempt France to seize the Rhine and
Russia the frontier of the Balkan?
[End excerpt]

Garson