[Ads-l] Drama Critic Motto: Leave no turn unstoned

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Dec 4 16:10:54 UTC 2017

A slight correction, which may be helpful to anyone who tries to track this down:  The pun actually reads “The plume hunter left no stone unturned, so that no Tern went unstoned.”  Apparently I subconsciously added the additional pun of “stone unterned.”

John Baker

From: Baker, John
Sent: Monday, December 4, 2017 11:08 AM
To: 'American Dialect Society'
Subject: RE: Drama Critic Motto: Leave no turn unstoned

Earlier than this is an article in the (Zanesville, Ohio) Sunday Times-Signal, May 26, 1935 (Newspaper Archive).  Atypically, this is a reference to actual tern hunting.  It refers to an earlier article in the Louisiana Conservationist, the official organ of the Louisiana Department of Conservation, which I have not tried to track down.

“The article describes the slaughter by professional plume hunters of tens of thousands of delicate least terns on such spots as Cobbs Island, Virginia, so that some woman’s hat might be more in fashion than that of her neighbor.  Terns, rather than flee at the first discharge of a gun, will circle and wheel over their fallen comrades, giving the hunter an ideal chance to kill great numbers of them before they fly beyond range.  The author, in an effort to picture the havoc wrought by plume hunters in colonies, uses the following appropriate humor pun:  The plume hunter left no stone unterned, so that no Tern went unstoned.””

John Baker