[Ads-l] Antedating "Red Light District" - and a possible explanation of the red light

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Mon Dec 4 21:02:17 UTC 2017

Of possible relevance, found while searching for "red light house":

_Galveston [TX] Daily News_ 4/11/1878 p 1 col 4
"The cowboys made things lively last night, firing off their six-shooters at the Waco Tap and Red Light houses of prostitution."

And more directly on point:

Chicago _Inter-Ocean_ 11/22/1884 p 6 col 3
"It is charged that Mr. Kirchoff was a frequent visitor of Mrs. Field's red-light house on Fourth avenue, which led to the filing of this suit"
[article about a divorce proceeding]