[Ads-l] antedating (?) "shaggy-dog story"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 4 23:05:09 UTC 2017

Clearly, I'm coming down with Oldtimer's disease. I don't even recall my
own comment to the "shaggy-dog" thread.

So, in the beginning, the shaggy-dog story was really a brief, boring tale
about a shaggy dog that the teller told over and over to his hearers,
pretending that it was so funny that it was worthy of re-telling? Then it
evolved into a long, attention-holding tale about a mystery that is left
unsolved, rendering the listener's rapt attention a complete waste of time?
This is non-denouement is quite funny to the teller, but quite an annoyance
to the person suckered into listening to the story.

BTW, isn't this annoying-popular blast from the past, the bane of my last
semester of grade school, also a form of shaggy-dog story?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2H6qC23RPY

-Wilson
-----