[Ads-l] rando

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Dec 9 18:42:44 UTC 2017

It was beginning to pop up as an entry in some of the NEWJs (New English Word Journals) I collected in my Words class around then, but I don’t have a record of when I first came across it.  It elegantly builds in the pejoration afflicting “random” by then along with the pejorative -o suffix of “wino”, “psycho”, “fatso”, “weirdo”, “sleazo”, etc. (not necessarily all reflecting the same derivation, but contributing to the general feel of the suffix); cf. https://linguistlist.org/issues/9/9-360.html for a useful compilation.  Of course “rando” isn’t < “rand-“ + “-o”, it’s more like “psycho” in repurposing other (stem or combo) material for a suffix; Parkvall calls these "Apocoped O-words".  Maybe “typo” comes in here too (whence “thinko”), along with “klepto” and “nympho”.  Some of these are deader than others.

LH