[Ads-l] Motto: In God We Trust; All Others Cash

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 11 19:04:09 UTC 2017

Great work, Garson.

I'm not sure, though, that we can say for sure that the 1865 juxtaposition
was unintentional, particularly if the two lines were side by side.
(Paraphrase: "We trust in God, but our commercial policy (for you) is cash."

The recent appearance of "In God We Trust" on money might have been
sufficient to generate the joke crystallized by the later, classic form of
the saying.

JL