[Ads-l] Motto: In God We Trust; All Others Cash

Mon Dec 11 19:48:59 UTC 2017

Thanks for your response, JL. My interpretation is influenced by the
explication given in the later 1871 citation:

[Begin excerpt]
There is a story that when New York was draped for a departed citizen,
mid the emblems of mourning over a large drygoods house, was entwined
the sentiment, “In God we trust,” Terms Cash, the latter legend being
the permanent sign, which appeared in rather awkward proximity to the
more recent announcement.
[End excerpt]

Based on the above passage I hypothesized that the "In God we trust"
sign was part of the ornamentation for the funeral. It was placed near
the preexisting "Terms Cash" sign without an explicit desire to
combine the messages on the signage.

Nevertheless, a viewer thought that the juxtaposition was funny
precisely because the unintentional combination had the natural
interpretation that you specified: "We trust in God, but our
commercial policy (for you) is cash."

Part of the humor emerges from the belief that the combination
revealed the stores policy of disjunction between the godly and
secular worlds.

I labeled it a precursor because I agree with you that "The recent
appearance of "In God We Trust" on money might have been sufficient to
generate the joke crystallized by the later, classic form of the
saying."

I will try to add some text to the article to improve the exposition.

Garson