[Ads-l] _try to_ vs. _try and_

Margaret Lee 0000006730deb3bf-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sat Dec 16 09:39:31 UTC 2017

 Yes, I was taught to use 'try to' rather than 'try and'.   The old 'proper English' mandate, but what exactly is 'proper English'?  Who decides what is 'proper'?   Are any of you familiar with the Max Weinreich quote:  "A language is a dialect with an army an a navy" ?
--Margaret Lee