[Ads-l] _try to_ vs. _try and_

Margaret Lee 0000006730deb3bf-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Mon Dec 18 11:11:05 UTC 2017

 In terms of the quote, I regard a 'language' as what is supposed to be the perfect language model, incorporating  all of the 'proper English' rules found in a typical English textbook.  Of course, most people don't reach that level of perfection and therefore break the rules in one way or another, therefore speaking a dialect.  Those who establish the 'rules' of 'proper/perfect' English (i.e., those entities--political, social--powerful enough to mandate the rules  of 'correct' usage) are also those who are powerful enough to possess an army and a navy. Ironically, even those who establish the rules of proper English also break the rules (perhaps unintentionally, but nevertheless they do), so essentially everyone speaks a dialect, with the rules of 'proper English' patiently sitting in English textbooks as models of perfection that no one can reach.

--Margaret Lee