[Ads-l] Heard on Springer: "I recognized him..."

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 20 01:23:55 UTC 2017

> a mis-transcription

Nobody ever explained it to me that way, before! Considering that I
"transcribed" what I heard, "a mis-hearing" is probably an apter term than
"a mis-transcription."

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 5:37 AM, Stanton McCandlish <smccandlish at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In the Springer show quote, "one of my friends's boyfriends" (in the sense
> of "boyfriend of one of my friends") is a mis-transcription of "one of my
> friends' boyfriends", which isn't wrong, just ambiguous when spoken aloud.
>
> --
> Stanton McCandlish
> McCandlish Consulting
> 4001 San Leandro St
> Suite 28
> Oakland  CA 94601-4055
>
> +1 415 234 3992
>
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/SMcCandlish
>

> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 10:01 PM, Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I definitely prefer “one of my friend’s boyfriends” to “one of the
> > boyfriends of my friend”. BB
> >
> > > On 18 Dec 2017, at 21:48, Dave Hause <dwhause at CABLEMO.NET> wrote:
> > >
> > > A:  I have one friend who has several boyfriends
> > > vs.
> > > B:  I have several friends who each have a single boyfriend
> > > Dave Hause
> > > -----Original Message----- From: Wilson Gray Sent: Monday, December 18,
> > 2017 11:41 AM To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Heard on Springer: "I
> > recognized him..."
> > > "as one of my friends's boyfriends"
> > >
> > > instead of
> > >
> > > "as the boyfriend of one of my friends"