[Ads-l] Fwd: Re: [MEDTEXTL] Request for help on Joan of Arc quote (from ADS-L)

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Sat Dec 23 21:38:12 UTC 2017

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [MEDTEXTL] Request for help on Joan of Arc quote (from ADS-L)
Date: 	Sat, 23 Dec 2017 18:21:07 +0000
From: 	Edward Mills <edwardmills2 at gmail.com>
To: 	medtextl at lists.illinois.edu
CC: 	Medieval Texts - Philology Codicology and Technology
<MEDTEXTL at LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU>

Not sure how useful this would be, but I have managed to track down, via
Indiana’s <http://www.indiana.edu/%7Edmdhist/joantrials.html> website
and a little bit of digging on my part, a reference to it in the Latin
trial records. This reference has the quote attributed to Joan by one
Henricus Rotarius during her /procès de réhabilitation:/
/
/

    quae (Joan) respondebat quad *non timebat* armatos, quia habebat
    viam suam expeditam ; quia, si armati essent per viam, habebat
    (/i.e. Joan had/) Deum, dominum suum, qui sibi faceret viam ad
    lundum justa dominam Dalphinum, *et quod erat nata ad hoc
    faciendum*. [Quicherat, ed., vol. 2 (1841], p. 449
    <https://archive.org/stream/ProcesDeCondamnationV2#page/n459>]

    "I fear them not," she answered, "I have a sure road: if the enemy
    are on my road, I have God with me, Who knows how to prepare the way
    to the Lord Dauphin. I was born to do this." [Murray, ed. (1902), p.
    228 <https://archive.org/stream/jeannedarcmaidof028754mbp#page/n273>]

Sadly, I wasn’t able to locate the corresponding section of the d’Urfé
manuscript <http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8458433p>, which seems
to have been refoliated since it (among others, I believe …) was edited
by Quicherat for his volume, nor can I guarantee that this is the first
reference to it; it is, though, some sort of lead, and does offer the
intriguing detail that Joan’s fear (or rather, lack thereof) was more
specific than the commonly-attributed quote would otherwise imply.

Apologies for any inaccuracies: this research was all done in about half
an hour by someone who knows very little about Joan or about Latin! I
hope this can at the very least be useful somehow.

Edward.

*Edward Mills*
PhD Student // Modern Languages PGR Representative
Department of Modern Languages (French), University of Exeter

university profile <http://eprofile.exeter.ac.uk/edwardmills> //
personal blog <http://anglonormantics.wordpress.com/> // twitter
<https://twitter.com/edward_mills>