[Ads-l] Read: The Memo: Five Republicans who could _primary_ Trump in 2020

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 29 00:14:04 UTC 2017

See the OED entry for "primary" v., sense 3 (trans.) "to oppose in a
primary election," with cites back to 1958. Intransitive "primarying" goes
back even earlier.

I provided the earliest known cites used by the OED for both transitive and
intransitive "primary" in a 2008 post here:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2008-October/085065.html