[Ads-l] dog whistle politics

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 30 02:20:31 UTC 2017

A "dog-whistle" is P.C. racist code. One of the older examples is _the
undeserving poor_ for "black people." A couple of others are
"sexually-active teenagers," "welfare-recipients," "inner-city dwellers,"
etc. Possibly the current most-common example is _undocumented aliens_ for
"Hispanic people who are poor and/or have sallow complexions."

Of course, the overwhelming majority of these terms are two days older than
water. Well, at least as old as the the era of Ronald "The Great
Communicator" Reagan and his tales of Cadillac-driving 'welfare queens' and
'strapping young bucks' buying T-bone steaks with food stamps. During the
same era, a candidate for mayor of Boston used a variant as a slogan: "You
Know Where I Stand!" In the words of the Shangri-Las in their song, The
Leader of the Pack: "Yes, we do." What's new is this tactic's being
recognized for what it is and being given a name.

Every time that I hear that 1971 jam by Lee Michaels, Do You Know What I
Mean?, I can't avoid being reminded of the political tactic now called a
"dog-whistle."

Dog-whistle politics - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog-whistle_politics
Dog-whistle politics is political messaging employing coded language that
appears to mean one thing to the general population but has an additional,
different, or more specific resonance for a targeted subgroup.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain