[Ads-l] Archetypal Advertisement: Eat at Joe's

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 1 22:55:24 UTC 2017

Apropos of nothing:

On the old radio show, "My Friend, Irma," 19447-1954,  the go-to guy of
Irma's boyfriend, Al, was Joe:

"Hello, _Joe_? Al. Got. a problem."

Waiting for Godot: Tragicomedy in 2 Acts - Page 247
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0802141366
Samuel Beckett - 1954 - ‎Preview - ‎More editions
I'm stuffy, but sympathetic to multicultural concerns. What am I to do? I
must be a victim somehow, that is the currency of acceptance, the knock on
the door to all the cool places, the whispered "_Joe_ sent me" that allows
one into the inner fold.

Richard Pryor stand-up, ca. 1969:

[knocks on door; door opens]
a) Whutchu wont?