[Ads-l] Media Inquiry (Mike Pence calling his wife "Mother")

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 3 20:47:28 UTC 2017

Ronald Reagan called Nancy "Mommy."
________________________________
From: Laurence Horn<mailto:laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Sent: ‎2/‎3/‎2017 12:17
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Media Inquiry (Mike Pence calling his wife "Mother")

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

But these threads (at least Quora) do tend to conflate the cases that =
need to be kept distinct:  reference (who you=E2=80=99re talking about) =
vs. address (who you=E2=80=99re talking to), and with children in =
hearing range (kitchen) or not (bedroom).  The =E2=80=9Ccreepy=E2=80=9D =
dimension only comes into play with address with no children present =
(e.g. when they=E2=80=99re off in college).

LH

<gcohen at mst.edu>