[Ads-l] surveil verb (1887) backformation of surveillance

Tue Feb 7 16:29:36 UTC 2017

JL wrote;
> Great finds!
> Independent coinages?

The backformation may have been constructed independently on multiple
occasions, Unfortunately, the citations I've located do not provide
strong evidence on this question because my search was not
comprehensive and the search strategy was circumscribed. I only looked
for the word "surveilled" in Google Books and Newspapers.com.

Here are two more instances from the Fulton History database providing
interdatings..
The following 1911 instance occurred in a newspaper title.

Date: August 8, 1911
Newspaper: The Sun (The New York Sun)
Newspaper Location: New York, New York
Article: WATCH ON PRIVATE PETERS
Article Subtitle: HE'LL BE SURVEILLED TO SEE IF HE IS A NOBLE SPY
Quote Page 10, Column 1
Database: Fulton History

[Begin excerpt; the title contains "surveilled"; this excerpt is
included to show the semantics]
Fort Totten was inclined to make merry yesterday over its "Austrian
spy," but an order came from Washington in the evening to Col. Strong,
the commandant, to hold Private George Peters of the 135th Company,
Coast Artillery, under surveillance until further notice.
[End excerpt]

Below is another instance in a New York newspaper. The text is
difficult to read. The French name of the permit is unclear.