[Ads-l] sherpa

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 12 15:18:19 UTC 2017

Well, it does have a history in this use, or something close to it.  OED, s.v. _sherpa_:

2. transf. and fig. A mountain guide or porter; a guide; an official who makes the preparations for a summit conference.

1959   M. Pugh Chancer 137   What was the idea of trying that cliff? Did you fancy your chance as a sherpa?
1976   P. Cave High Flying Birds iii. 35   ‘O.K.,’ I said. ‘Lead the way, sherpa.’
1980   Times 23 June 1/2   The seven leaders inevitably based much of their comment on the draft communique drawn up for publication after the meeting by the seven government officials—known as the ‘sherpas’—who have been charged with preparing this summit.

That last one suggests a vector for the metaphorical extension, via one who prepares the way for a summit (conference) to one who guides a client for stressful vetting for a (mountain?)top position (it is called the “Supreme” Court, after all), to a guide over difficult terrain more generally.

LH