[Ads-l] Quote Investigator Makes the News

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 13 13:01:59 UTC 2017

There is a controversy raging about a fake Lincoln quote promulgated by the GOP, and of course people are turning to Quote Investigator for the facts:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gop-posts-fake-lincoln-quote_us_58a0b778e4b094a129ec104c?

Congratulations to Garson O'Toole, whose quoteinvestigator.com website has clearly become the place the Internet goes to for the truth about popular quotations.  This is not a trivial status, as our society is currently facing assaults on the very notion of truth, assaults unimaginable before Election Day.  Quotations play a significant role in political discourse, and we are lucky to have Quote Investigator available as a bulwark of quotation accuracy.

Fred Shapiro

Editor

Yale Book of Quotations (Yale University Press)