[Ads-l] Question About Grace Murray Hopper As Word-Coiner

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 13 18:34:19 UTC 2017

My sense is that it would depend on whether she used "bug" to refer to a problem in the hardware (which would be merely an example of an earlier engineering use) or to a problem with the software, which would seem more like something new and different.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2017 10:16 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Question About Grace Murray Hopper As Word-Coiner

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>

Maybe, in view of the decision my university has made to honor Grace Murray=
 Hopper, I should forget my decades-long debunking of the Hopper "bug" myth=
 and instead emphasize her possible factual claim to word-coining immortali=
ty.  If one considers the specific usage of "bug" applied to computers as a=
n important subsense of the word, as opposed to merely an example of the br=
oader engineering usage, then Hopper may reasonably be considered as the co=
iner of that subsense.  I would welcome input as to whether the computer me=
aning merits a separate subsense.  Oxford and Merriam-Webster do not includ=
e such a subsense.

Fred Shapiro