[Ads-l] stock market saying?

Tue Feb 14 18:36:45 UTC 2017

Good question, Jim, and excellent searching, John. The Economist
probably picked up the saying from Newsweek. Fred's essential
reference "The Yale Book of Quotations" has the following illuminating
entry:

[Begin excerpt]
Paul A. Samuelson
U.S. economist, 1915-

Wall Street indexes predicted nine out of the last five recessions.
Newsweek, 19 Sept. 1966
[End excerpt]

Here are some more details and a longer excerpt.

Date: September 19, 1966
Periodical: Newsweek
Article: Science and Stocks
Author: Paul Samuelson
Quote Page 92
Database: Google Books snippet; citation data from GB, YBQ, and from
"Spiraling Downward: Thinking About and Planning for Economic
Collapse" (2013) by Peter Damaris

[Begin excerpt]
To prove that Wall Street is an early omen of movements still to come
in GNP, commentators quote economic studies alleging that market
downturns predicted four out of the last five recessions. That is an
understatement. Wall Street indexes predicted nine out of the last
five recessions! And its mistakes were beauties.
[End excerpt]

Garson