[Ads-l] "inbox" as a verb?

Shawnee Moon moon.shawnee at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 14 20:25:39 UTC 2017

I have been reading books about the evolution of the English language. I like the new terminologies, because it simplifies language, telling someone you'll "inbox" them is like saying you'll message them, only it refers to email (which refers to electronic mail). For A meaning that needs no description or artistry, it's just a quicker way to say something. Like nodding your head, it says what you mean with as few words as possible, in that case, with none at all.  It's like Google, it's now a verb: "I googled my name." New words come in all the time, and take on new roles in language. I think we notice them because the frequency is perhaps higher than in the past, with communication happening globally at nearly light speed. That and the lack of formality, and the abbreviated way people communicate in text messages. "JMHO"

In a book or article, something meant to express an idea or tell a story, longer descriptions are better, it's different. It's not conversational, it's writing. It's an art. I wouldn't want to read a book written in "textese." It's almost like deciphering a rebus.

When I write, however, I have to go back and edit out words like "shan't" and phrases like "on the morrow" which are archaic. I don't know where that comes from since I don't talk like that and am under 150 years old...

Mailed from the Moon 🌜