[Ads-l] Dialogue from Star, a neo-blaxpoitation TV drama

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 16 04:56:29 UTC 2017

"Well, I’m going to go ahead and _cut out_"

in  which "cut out" is an ancient - haven’t heard it used since the ’40’s -
BE term meaning simply "go, leave." It has, apparently, only extended
meanings in standard English, e.g.

Google:

"cut out
phrasal verb of cut

1. …
2. NORTH AMERICAN _informal_ (of a person) leave quickly, especially so as
to avoid a boring or awkward situation."

Green’s:

"cut out v.3 [ext. cut v.2 (2)/cut v.4 (2)]
1. to rush away, to leave fast, to escape. 1834-2011 [passim]."

HDAS:

"cut out v. 1.a. to take off in a rush.

… 1.b. to run away, clear out; (hence) to leave; to be on one’s way [In
general currency esp. since ca1950, but now less freq. than _split_.]"

Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson
-----