[Ads-l] "snow farm", not in OED; 1970--? Bostonism?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 16 21:20:37 UTC 2017

> On Feb 16, 2017, at 4:12 PM, Peter Reitan <pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> The surprising thing to me about "snow farm" as used in Boston snowplow business is that it is where the snow is taken to die - not a place where snow is taken from, as in most of the other "... farms”.

Exactly--whence my suggestions below (jocular though they may have been) of car farms, garbage farms, and underwater waste farms.  (One could add tire farms and no doubt others.). Are there any actual examples of the snow farm pattern?   (Of course in my examples, the X farm isn’t necessarily where X is taken to die, but at least in some cases to live forever…)

LH