[Ads-l] Bog standard

Sun Feb 19 21:39:32 UTC 2017

Now I see that the OED entry has the 1962 match in Google Books as the
first citation.

[Begin excerpt from OED]
bog-standard, adj.
Origin: Of uncertain origin.
Etymology: Origin uncertain; perhaps an alteration of box-standard
adj. (although this is first attested later), after bog n.4 Differing
theories of the origin of bog-standard have been proposed, but none
proven. An immediate association with bog n.1 seems unlikely on
semantic grounds. The most commonly held view is that the transition
from box to bog resulted from a mishearing or misunderstanding of
box-standard n.

  Ordinary, basic, standard; without extra features or modification;
unexceptional or uninspired. Cf. box-standard adj.

1962   Motor Sport Apr. 283/1 (advt.)    Bog standard Sprite, 1959, two owners.
1968   Hot Car Oct. 35/1   The brakes are bog-standard—anyway Barry
says he only uses them in the paddock!
[End excerpt from OED]