[Ads-l] Bog standard

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 20 01:45:36 UTC 2017

OED does suggest the “box-standard” origin Michael Quinion (below link) is skeptical of:

Origin: Of uncertain origin.
Etymology: Origin uncertain; perhaps an alteration of box-standard adj

And there are 19th-century attestations of box-standard which might or not have been reanalyzed into “bog-standard” (first attested by the OED in a 1962 ad, so presumably it was around earlier—but how much earlier?).  No mention of the BoG acronym, which does strike as having the whiff of the etymythological; so many of those (faux) acronyms are post facto reconstructions.

LH