[Ads-l] Heard: positive _anymore_ south of Saint Louis

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 22 02:46:34 UTC 2017

I’m not sure this instance counts as a full-fledged positive “anymore”, given the possible licensing by “rare”.  For me (and I’m a NYC non-pos “anymore" speaker) this sounds pretty good, as opposed to “Conversational Spanish is very common anymore”, which only works as a pos-“anymore” instance.  Similarly,

Gas sold for under $2.50/gallon is relatively common anymore.  [only good for pos-“anymore” speakers, e.g. out for me]
Milk sold for under $2.50/gallon is relatively rare anymore.         [much more widely acceptable, e.g. fine for me]

“Rare” (like “rarely”) does a pretty good job licensing negative polarity items.  One example (with relatively strict polarity item “for long”):

Small reptiles and rodents burrow or slide below the surface or cling to the shaded side of an outcropping. Movement is slow to preserve energy,
and it is a rare animal which can or will defy the sun for long.
           (John Steinbeck (1961), Travels with Charley In Search of America, p. 164)

LH