[Ads-l] "flied out" vs. "flew out" again

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 27 01:02:29 UTC 2017

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> > When a verb is coined from a noun, the general rule is that the verb is
> regular (regardless of whether there is an incorporated verb that is
> irregular or if the form itself is identical to an irregular verb).

Possibly ripped off from Paul Kiparsky, who made the same claim in a
lecture when he was still at MIT, in the ’70’s, using "the bird flew out"
vs. "the batter flied out" as his example.

Wikipedia:

In his interview on the Point of Inquiry podcast in 2007, [Pinker] provides
the following [example] of what he considers [a] defensible [conclusion] of
what science says human nature is:

"... Each one of us thinks of ourselves as more competent … than we are."

*Pronuntiatio loquitur ipsa.*

--
-Wilson
-----