[Ads-l] Could "check-ed" = r-less "checkered"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 4 09:43:58 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Neal Whitman <nwhitman at ameritech.net>
wrote:

> Just this morning, my dad talked about getting his "stripe-ed" sweatshirt,
> so I told him about Wilson's comments, and he wondered if maybe what Wilson
> might actually have heard was an r-less "checkERed", which (I now
> speculate) he then assimilated to a small pattern of cloth patterns plus a
> separately pronounced "-ed". Wilson, thoughts?

It doesn't work that way for me, I don't think, because _checkered_ is
[tʃεkəd],
whereas disyllabic "checked" is [tʃεkɪd].

--
-Wilson
-----