[Ads-l] Antedating of "Booboisie"

Sun Jan 8 19:23:41 UTC 2017

Mencken used "booboisie" within an article in the 1922 collection
"Prejudices: Third Series". According to the excerpt further below
from a review in "The New York Review of Books" the material in the
"Prejudices" series was reprinted from Mencken's journalistic pieces.
Hence, the piece in "Prejudices: Third Series" containing "booboisie"
may have appeared in a newspaper in 1922, 1921, or earlier. Maybe it
appeared in the "Baltimore Evening Sun".

Year: 1922
Book: Prejudices: Third Series
Author: Henry Louis Mencken
Article DAS KAPITAL

https://books.google.com/books?id=6gNbAAAAMAAJ&q=booboisie#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
To this end, it borrowed the machine erected by Dr. Wilson and his
agents for debauching the booboisie during the actual war, and by the
skillful use of that machine it quickly organized the late conscripts
into the American Legion, alarmed them with lies about a Bolshevist
scheme to make slaves of them (i.e., to cut off forever their hope of
getting money), and put them to clubbing and butchering their fellow
proletarians.
[End excerpt]

Periodical: The New York Review of Books
Article: A Genius for Contempt
Author: Russell Baker

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2010/11/11/genius-contempt/

[Begin excerpt]
The material that H.L. Mencken published in a series of six volumes
under the title Prejudices was a collection of his journalism written
between 1914 and the late 1920s.
[End excerpt]

Garson