[Ads-l] "Gaslight" as a verb only five decades old

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 11 16:22:47 UTC 2017

There's a 1956 "I Love Lucy" episode called "Lucy Meets Charles Boyer," in
which Ricky conspires with Charles Boyer to make Lucy think that Boyer is
merely a lookalike. There are obvious parallels to "Gaslight," but I
watched the episode here and I didn't hear anything about "gaslighting":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEg-3yqLLVQ

--Ben