[Ads-l] "Gaslight" as a verb only five decades old

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 11 21:43:52 UTC 2017

I wish I could name the episode for you that I have in mind, and I regret
that my once (unfortunately) photographic memory of HDAS I is no longer
quite reliable.

I *did* hear the word in 1956 (as a child - so perhaps that attestation
will be disregarded). I remembered it clearly when I wrote it on an index
card in 1968 - one of the first slang cards I jotted down. The speaker was
my mother, who alluded in my childhood several times to _Gaslight_.

I cannot name the TV episode, which I must have seen later, but I do know
that the word struck me as both weird and fascinating in 1956. (Very, very
few oral exx. are cited in HDAS before I got serious about slang collecting
in 1969-70.)

FWIW, my mind's eye shows Lucy saying the word to Ethel in some such phrase
as "We'll gaslight him" (Desi, presumably.) She then explained precisely
what that meant.

Could it have been another show? Maybe. But the concept seems especially
Lucyesque.

Irrespective of the above, the likelihood that the verb arose in reference
to the nationally popular Boyer-Bergman movie not terribly long after it
became famous must be close to 100%. As a simple verbalization, it seems
unavoidable.  Which is not at all to say that everyone used it.

JL