[Ads-l] jelly

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 16 20:16:58 UTC 2017

Green's Dictionary of Slang has a remarkably early "jelly" citation from a
story by Carlos Martinez (pseudonym of Charles M. Martin), "Gats in the
Hat," in the Sep. 1931 issue of the pulp magazine _Gun Molls_: "'You’re
just jelly.' 'Yes, I’m jealous,' she admitted. 'I don’t like it when you
have your arms around that snaky dame.'"

Earliest example I know from rap music is the 1999 song "Waterworld" by
Handsome Boy Modeling School (with bonus PB&J wordplay): "Workin for
peanuts amongst jelly MC's, really ain't my steez."