[Ads-l] Query: Slang "insect promenade"

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Fri Jan 20 14:48:48 UTC 2017

The reference would seem to be to the speaker's face:  anglice, "I closed my
eyes in my face".  But how you get from "insect promenade" to "face" beats me.

A further problem is that while the poem mostly plays on rhyming slang, one or
two items are Cant, or simply slang -- booze, do a bunk, give the office,
flimsy, mug -- so whether "insect promenade" is playing off against rhyming
slang or some other register is an issue.

I'm tempted by "Lambeth Walk", but that's anachronistic.

Malapropism, allusion, pun, or rhyming slang?  You pays your money ...  Farmer
obviously couldn't fathom it, otherwise he'd have glossed it himself.  He
glosses many more-transparent items in the lyric.

Farmer's source in Musa Pedestris is cited as: "The Rhyme of the Rusher // 1892
// By Doss Chiderdoss in Sporting Times, 29 Oct. In Appropriate Rhyming
Slanguage," but it's possible that this is reprinted from Guy Fawkes, Esq.,
performed at the Gaiety Theatre in 1890, with Lyrics by Doss Childerdoss:

J. P. Wearing, The London Stage 1890-1899: A Calendar of Productions,
Performers, and Personnel, p. 32
                   https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nF8pAgAAQBAJ

But appearance of "Doss Childerdoss" in Guy Fawkes may itself be a reference to
the Sporting Times.  This snippet from google books:

"The hey-day of rhyming slang was probably just before the turn of the century.
Then the Sporting Times--the world famous Pink 'Un used to regularly feature
examples of verse in rhyming slang by 'Doss Childerdoss' ..."

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WulJAAAAIAAJ&q=%22sporting+times%22+Childerdoss&dq=%22sporting+times%22+Childerdoss&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJi52C-dDRAhWBDMAKHcFLB4EQ6AEIJDAA

Robin Hamilton